Who We Are
Once Upon A Preemie, Inc. is a Black women-led non-profit organization committed to pioneering solutions for neonatal equity to center Black preemie family experiences.
After birthing her micro-preemie son, Once Upon A Preemie, Inc's founder, Jenné Johns, took personal action by writing Once Upon A Preemie, a comforting children's book for Black preemie families who feel ignored and unsupported while in the NICU. The book expanded into a non-profit organization that pioneered the industry’s first Health and Racial Equity e-Learning Training program for healthcare professionals across the globe and allows all to donate our Once Upon A Preemie book to any facility that supports preemie families. We speak through the lived experiences of Black preemie parents to champion for laws that mandate equity in maternal and neonatal healthcare.
We lead pioneering health and racial equity education, advocacy, and family empowerment solutions for perinatal and neonatal healthcare professionals by centering the lived experiences of Black Preemie families. We advocate for equitable and family centered care throughout the birthing and neonatal journey.
First-hand NICU experience with a premature birth.
Self-Published Once Upon A Preemie children’s book.
Preemie Parent Speaking and NICU Equity Advocacy
- Once Upon A Preemie, Inc Non-Profit (501c3) Designation
- Launched Once Upon A Preemie Academy
- Launched inaugural Once Upon A Preemie Academy live and virtual training
- Launched first official book donation program
Launched Once Upon A Preemie Academy e-Learning Course Program
- Launched inaugural Black Maternal Health Advocacy Week Campaign
- Launched inaugural Once Upon A Preemie Maternal + Neonatal Equity Policy Note
- First Annual Once Upon A Preemie, Inc Conference (November 2022)
The people and partners who make it all possible
Join Us in Supporting Families and Changing Systems
Make a donation today to help drive equitable health outcomes for 1 million Black Preemie Families.